Carrig Celtic 3-5 Breska Rovers


Having received a bye to the semi-final, Breska booked their place in the divisional cup final with a two goal victory against a strong Carrig Celtic side. Having beaten Carrig 6-3 to clinch the league title a few weeks ago, confidence was high, but Carrig have proven to be tough opposition in each of the three previous meetings and proved it once again here.

Dylan Kelly returned to the line-up and was on the scoresheet after 20 minutes, finishing well after good link-play between Keith Punch and Josh Carey. Carrig levelled on 35 minutes in what was proving to be a ding-dong battle, the home striker unleashing a thunderbolt past the despairing dive of Fintan O’Sullivan.  O’Sullivan had earlier saved expertly from point blank range.

Breska went on the front foot once again and Keith Punch tucked a wonderful shot inches inside the left hand post after patient build up. The 2-1 lead at the break was perhaps harsh on Carrig, however Breska were to start the second-half perfectly. Josh Moloney, who’d hadn’t received as much possession as he would have liked in the first half drifted in from his left hand wing to finish with his right foot to double the lead.

Carrig fought back and it was 2-3 shortly afterwards, the hosts growing in confidence as the game wore on. However, the games sixth goal would come from the tireless Josh Carey. Having linked well with Keith Punch all day he finally got his reward when he finished a cut-back to make it 2-4. But once again Carrig struck back, Conor O’Neill unlucky not to block a thunderbolt from Carrigs John Hayes, who was a standout for the hosts.

With the game at 3-4, Breska didn’t panic, knowing that they’d scored over 50 goals already this season, and were able to play on the counter attack. Jack Moroney had dropped into defence as had Keith Punch, who has played in several positions this season.

It was a wonderful ball from Orin Garvey which opened up the Carrig defence, and Josh Moloney was fouled when he was likely to pull the trigger. Keith Punch sent the keeper the wrong way to give Breska a two-goal lead once more. From here on it was a defensive battle, sub Shane Hannon added fresh legs while Dara Punch and Ethan Keyes regularly cleared their lines. The introduction of Robbie Gardiner and John Maher also offered more attacking options but it was to finish 5-3.

The result means Breska await the winners of the other semi-final, which will be between St.Itas and Mountcollins. No date has been set but we encourage all our members to support the boys as they look to achieve a rare double for the club.

Team: Fintan O’Sullivan, Sean Coughlan, Ethan Keyes, Jack Moroney, Conor O’Neill (C), Dara Punch, Keith Punch, Orin Garvey, Dylan Kelly, Josh Carey, Josh Moloney

Subs Used: Shane Hannon, Robbie Gardiner, John Maher.